The Secret World of Buenos Aires

September 16th, 2012 kfrile14

This past Saturday I felt like such a local because I went to an event that is definitely only for people “in the know.” My friend found out about an underground food market (cleverly named the Buenos Aires Underground Market) via a Facebook event and it seemed like a fun way to spend our Saturday afternoon, so we went. I had joined the event on Facebook and had been following all the posts with pictures of the vendors that would be there and what they would be selling. The page itself was odd because some of the posts were in Spanish, but the majority were in English. I realized that the event was being held by a mostly ex-pat crowd, not Argentines, which made me even more excited to go.

The market was held in an abandoned warehouse in a part of the city that I had never been to before. My friend and I had to climb three flights of stairs past empty shop rooms and piles of scrap metal before we got to the market itself. Once we arrived we had to buy vouchers instead of paying the vendors with pesos. With eight tickets in hand, I headed into the market. Even though it was a small market, I felt overwhelmed because everything looked amazing! There were stands for drinks, frozen yogurt, all kinds of baked delights, granola, meat, and cheese. I walked around and talked to the different vendors who were mostly from the U.S. I met people from Chicago, Colorado, and even a woman from San Francisco! I ended up using my vouchers to grab some pulled pork, a cup of Cajun beans and rice, and a delicious piece of fudge from the woman from San Francisco. I was so full by the time I left! I was bummed that I missed out on the Vietnamese table because their food looked so tempting, but by the time I saw it, I didn’t have enough vouchers. Plus, there was no way I could have eaten any more. Thank goodness the vouchers were a little expensive because that stopped me from buying and trying everything in the room.

I left the market having spent a few more pesos than I had anticipated, but it was so worth it! Talking to the vendors, spending time with friends from school, and eating awesome food is always worth a few extra pesos in my book.

Katie Riley '14