A Day In The Life

August 10th, 2012 kfrile14

After reading through my previous blog entries, I realized that I had left out an important piece of my experience: my daily life. Yes, I go on trips and excursions and act like a tourist, but I also go to school and have a schedule. Like at Holy Cross, my day revolves around my classes. On Mondays I have two classes, which are each about 2-3 hours long. Then, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I have class in the afternoon (which means Wednesdays I don’t have class at all!). I thought it might be a good idea to explain what a day in my life is like, but then I thought an even better idea would be to actually show my friends and family what it’s like to live a day in my life here in Buenos Aires. Here is my day in photos…

The elevator in my house. I have to use it even though I live on the first floor because I don't have the key to the stairs. Sometimes I wish I had this problem at Holy Cross too.

Waving good morning to the neighbors as I leave the house. Oh did I forget to mention that the Papal Nuncio (the Vatican's ambassador) is my neighbor?

Taking the bus to class

Made it to the university! Today I had class in the "Letras" or Literature department

When in doubt, I look for the USAL green signs above buildings that describe what department is housed in that particular building. This building has the offices of the administrators who work with "intercambios" or exchange students.

Waiting in the Intercambio building to have a meeting with our HC program director to talk about classes

El Ateneo--the most famous book store in Buenos Aires. I went there to look for a book for my literature class. Usually students don't have books. You have to go to a kiosk where they have a copy of your reading assignment on file and you have to ask for a copy. It can be a very confusing process (especially if you don't know what kiosk to go to).

My dry cleaners. Some days after class I stop by to drop off my laundry. The couple who runs it are so nice to me, even though every time they ask for my name they spell it wrong. "Katey," "Keliey," and now it's "K" with a scribble--they've given up

My favorite pit-stop on my way home is the grocery store. I love picking out what I am going to cook for lunch the following day.

I usually end my day (or start it, depending on my schedule) at my little gym down the street. Lately it's where I have been watching the Olympic too. I get to workout and catch up on Olympic news at the same time.

Katie Riley '14