The Halfway Point

September 5th, 2012 kfrile14

I was looking at the calendar the other day and I realized that I have officially passed the halfway point of my semester in Buenos Aires! It is a 20-week semester and I am now in my 11th week. I can’t believe that I have been here for so long! Looking at the semester from this point of view, it seems like I have so much to do in so little time. Once I realized this, I made a list of all the things that I have yet to do or see in Buenos Aires and I am committed to doing a few activities a week in order to get them all done before I leave in November for my semester break.

I started my challenge by going to see a free show at the world-famous Teatro Colón. According to my guidebook, the theater, built in 1908, was the largest theater in the Southern Hemisphere before the Sydney Opera House was completed in 1973. It is one of the most prominent buildings in Buenos Aires and the only one if its kind in Argentina. I had wanted to take a tour of the theater but it was going to cost more than 100 pesos so I had been putting it off, and luckily I did! My friend found out that the theater was passing out free tickets to see a concert celebrating 50 years of diplomatic relations between Argentina and Korea. For the concert my friend and I definitely sat in the worst seats in the house, but what can you expect from a free ticket? It was still great to see the inside of the theater even if we had to sit in the nosebleed section.

Next, I went to take a tour of the Congreso building. I walk past it a few times a week on my way to class and it looks so impressive from the outside. I have been dying to get a peak at what the interior looks like. Plus, the Political Science major in me desperately wants to see what the inner workings of the Argentine government looks like. Too bad that the day I went for the tour (again, free!) they had to cancel all tours due to an emergency meeting. I guess the Congreso will go back on the to-do list.

Third on the list for the week was the Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires (MALBA). It is one of the major museums in the city and a popular tourist destination, which is why I was slightly embarrassed that I hadn’t been to it yet.  My friends and I decided to go on Wednesday because that’s the day students get in free. Of course, when we went the main exhibit was closed for restoration (I think I have the worst tourist luck ever). So, I didn’t get to see any of the promised Diego Rivera or Frida Kahlo works, but rest of the exhibit was fairly interesting except for one room that was dedicated to an exhibit about potatoes which I thought was a little weird. Hopefully I have more luck next week with round two of my city explorations.

One Response to “The Halfway Point”

1. autocuiseur pas cher says:

autocuiseur pas cher…

Katie Riley '14